Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tour of Georgetown Harbor and Lighthouse

 Georgetown Harbor
While on vacation in SC this past June 2010, my husband Pat and I took a day trip about 60 miles north of the Isle of Palms to Georgetown to see the Georgetown Lighthouse where my grandmother Irene Elizabeth O'Hagan Ball was born in 1890. The boat tour included a walk on the beach on North Island for collecting shells and a view of the Georgetown Lighthouse from the river. It was a wonderful half day tour that I highly recommend. The lighthouse is not open to the public, but our tour guide said that it may be open next year.
Georgetown Lighthouse
The lighthouse is isolated by water, strong currents and no roads, far from town or neighbors. I tried to imagine living there as my great grandmother did, a newlywed starting her marriage and family on a remote island. The first three of her 12 children where born at the Georgetown Lighthouse: Aunt Janie on July 1, 1887, Aunt Lottie on October 22, 1888, and my grandmother Irene on September. 6, 1890. Papa bought Julia a horse since she liked to ride.


I believe that Papa's oldest brother John J. O'Hagan drowned at Georgetown.
The lighthouse is on North Island in Winyah Bay where three rivers meet and flow into the Atlantic. The currents are very strong so even today, ships and boats must consider the tides or risk a long ride home.

My husband Pat enjoying the tour boat.

No comments: