Monday, August 30, 2010

Married Feb. 24, 1886 Stella Maris Roman Catholic Church

I took a vacation with my family to Wild Dunes Resort on the Isle of Palms, north of Charleston in June. We visited Stella Maris Roman Catholic Church where Papa and Julia Schuppe were married on February 24, 1886.
Stella Maris RCC c. 1920
It's a very pretty church located on Sullivan's Island, just a short drive from Wild Dunes.






Here's a copy of their marriage certificate I picked up while I was there. The witnesses were L. McKevlin and Hannah O'Hagan. Hannah was the wife of Papa's oldest brother, John J. O'Hagan.

A bonus to visiting the church is that it's across the street from Fort Moultrie, a national park. The fort is open to explore and takes you back to 1776 when it was a palm log fort. I was surprised to see that Seminole Chief Osceola is buried in front of the fort.

No comments: